Monday, March 3, 2014

Sentimental tools

Wood Plans Woodworking Carpentry Download
For a lot of us, we learned how to use tools from our dads. I dont ever recall any formal lessons about any particular tool or technique. I just watched my dad building and fixing things. Its like learning a second language through immersion: you just pick it up. The most exciting moment for me came when my dad bought a Shopsmith. Im pretty sure it was the same multi-tool they still make, the Mark V. Suddenly, I could use real power tools and make real things. My favorite tool was the lathe and I made lots of candle holders.

My grandfather was another strong influence. He kept a small work area in his garage of which I have more memories simply poking around his tools rather than actually building anything. He kept every tool he owned in a special place and everything was tidy. For some reason I will never know, he collected pliers. Not exactly a woodworking tool, but he had pliers of every shape and size and for every purpose.

When my grandfather was a young man he was a telegrapher, and over the years I have slowly come to learn that they were a quirky breed. His "bug" (a certain type of telegraph machine) which I now own is literally covered over every inch with telegraffiti. Little quips, phrases and puns, carefully painted on every surface — some in english and some in Morse code. Its a fascinating thing.

In addition to the bug, I inherited many of my grandpas tools including his pliers. And lest I confuse them with my tools, his are easy to identify: he carved his initials, P.L.R., in Morse code onto every tool he ever owned.

I use these pliers all the time. They are still as useful as they were to him nearly a century ago. Only for me, they are the most prized tools in my shop. Its impossible to grab a pair and not notice those carved dots and dashes, and its impossible for me not to think about him and his workbench when I use them.

Just a little sentimental journey for todays blog.


16 year-old MereMortalDork




TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects

No comments:

Post a Comment