Monday, January 27, 2014

Dollhouse for Peaches Day 5

Wood Plans Woodworking Carpentry Download
Day 5 - Rear rails and styles.
Before I can even think about securing the top in place, I have to do all the rail and style work, as well as the front nameplate and rear decorations at the top. Otherwise, Ill never get these pieces to work out properly.

Here are the rails and styles that I milled in my shop in Maumee. They are made from 3/4" solid maple, and will effectively trim out the rear of the dollhouse.


Here you can see most of the rails and styles applied to all vertical and horizontal faces (minus some at the return to the stairs).

Modeling the new digs...

In this picture you can see the 45 degree return to the stairs will require a custom piece to be fabricated. Because I did a 45 on the corners, this meant the top of the rail is wider than the others. Not a problem... just need to make something that will look like it grew that way!!! :)


By the way. any black marks that you see are from my rubber mallet being used to position pieces. These will be easy to sand off.


Ok, so here are the pieces for the 45 return. I created 2 pieces both with a 45 bevel on the leading edges, so that I would get a nice neat joint on the outside face. I glued all edges and secured into place...

As you can see, once everything is finished off, there is a beautiful return back to the stairs. I was considering some other detail work, but I dont want this area to be too busy looking when everything is done. I really think its kind of cool looking the way it is!

Now it has an awsome finished look! Im really happy with the way it came out...



Now the back has a nice flat look to it, the way it should be!

If you look at the top vertical surface above the second floor, I will be using this area for a decorative pattern. This is what Ill be working on next, as well as the front nameplate. These two areas may take an entire day in itself, because they both require heavy scroll saw work, and are time consuming...


Unfortunatly, I am wrapped up for the next 3 or 4 days, and wont have time to devote to this project. Im really enjoying this one, and wish there were more hours in the day!

While I have your attention, let me just say that after this project is done, I have a large custom cabinet door to make, and then I will start on the next project. If you are considering a piece like this, I would be happy to schedule you in! Email me and we can discuss details. Ok, commercials over.

More will be posted in a few days - check back soon!!!

TedsWoodworking Plans and Projects

No comments:

Post a Comment